Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Fasting-The Truth



Recently I have been reminded to fast. I haven't done very well doing it and it is apart of the Christian walk with God. The purpose of fasting is to die to our fleshly desires and wants and let the Holy Spirit lead us. As humans we let our flesh be in control of what we say and do and react, we let our flesh control every decision we make. The purpose of fasting is to make our flesh line up with the Holy Spirit. Actually fasting is VERY healthy if done properly.

People often think that fasting is just not eating, but there is so much more to it. For one, no one HAS to fast from JUST food, it can be anything that is holding you down from growing in Christ, for example; television, games, books, cell phones, computers, facebook, anything that draws your attention away from God or anything that you feel you are spending most of your time on that is not directed and turned towards God and His kingdom.

"And when you fast, do not look gloomy like the hypocrites, for they disfigure their faces that their fasting may be seen by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward. But when you fast, anoint your head and wash your face, that your fasting may not be seen by others but by your Father who is in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you."

Sometimes people try to get attention when they are fasting. I remember a time when I tried fasting from one meal when I was younger, about 12 or so and I would go around telling everyone how great I thought I had done in fasting for just one meal, I was excited because I felt like it was a grown-up thing to do and I wanted all of the grown-ups to know that I was growing up now that I had fasted. After I had been telling everyone I saw, I don't remember who it was, but someone told me, "I'm SO HAPPY that you have been fasting Traci, but I need to tell you something. When you fast, it's not good to tell every one because it's supposed to be for God and to help you grow closer to Him, not so every one can see how good you have done. You have done a good job, but God helps you fast for Him! (paraphrased)" It was at that moment that I started understanding the purpose of fasting. It really has helped me in realizing that fasting when it is hard and you really want to give in to the temptation of whatever you are fasting from, but it is in that moment of temptation that the breakthrough is JUST around the corner, DON'T GIVE IN! If you do give in, don't just give up all together, but keep pressing on towards the goal and ask God to give you the strength to go on.

One book that I have bought and read is called "Fasting." It's a REALLY good book and I believe that if you would read it, you would understand SO much more about fasting and the healthy aspects and the good and bad to it and the different kinds of fasts there are. Here is the book:

I encourage each one of you to get this book and tell me how it has helped you! Thanks and I hope that you grow more closer and more in love with Jesus EVERY DAY of your life! :)

Truly His,

Traci

No comments:

Post a Comment