Friday, March 2, 2012

Making An Author Of Me!





I have been wanting and trying to write a book for a very long time! Just recently I started and I'm not that far in my book, but I am getting somewhere. It's a lot of work that's for sure. The hard part will be editing it a million times, but right now the hard part is putting the correct information in the correct chapter. I am just on my rough draft and now I am on my second chapter of writing. I don't know if you have ever tried writing a book, but it can take a lot out of your day, that's for sure! I am hoping and my goal is to get it into the publishing process by the end of the summer. I know I have a lot of work ahead, but in the summer I probably will have more time. I will still have to work at my job obviously, but I won't have school over the summer so I am pretty excited about that! I have one more year left of college and then I am off! I hope to become a well published author, not because I want to be famous, but because I want to help others and the more people that buy my book, I know will be reading a story that I hope impacts their life. My book is about my life and the "before and after" of my adoption and before and after I came to really know Jesus. So many people have told me that they were impacted by my story and so many people have told me that I should write a book. Well, that's what I am doing and the reason I want it done by the end of the summer is because I do have one more year of school, so I won't have much time to write again, so I just want to get it done and into the publishing process and out in the world's hands!

Please pray for me as I am embarking on this adventure and if you have any pointers or have published or are working on a book yourself, please feel free to say something that has helped you and what you do and what you have learned about writing and publishing a book! Thanks for you help and please comment! Thanks!

Sincerely,
Your Future Author (I hope)

2 comments:

  1. Writing is very fulfilling, especially for one such as yourself who has a BUNCH of journals and writes on a daily basis. If you keep up this trend with your book, you'll probably make quite a bit of progress.

    I'm writing a book myself, and it's been YEARS since I started, but I'm still not satisfied with how the writing style itself turned out, although I'm actually DONE with the first book. So keep in mind, should you complete your book, editing will be a CONSTANT cycle. In other words, if you can step back, read your book, and think of a bunch of ways to improve it, you're not done. Not by a long-shot.

    Out of curiosity, how do you plan to get it published? For profit? Or what do you plan to do? I'm a little curious of where you're going with this, because I've certainly tackled that problem, and I'm not so sure that it's quite as easy and you're making it sound...

    Also, to become a well-published author, you should start networking with key members of your college's English department (instructors, etc), because having those connections will help you in the future.

    Hopefully you realize that I said all this not to discourage you, but to prepare you for problems you may face with this new endeavor of yours, since I have certainly hit all of these road-blocks myself.

    All the best with your writing and I'll be happy to help you edit/comment, etc., should you need it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know it will cost A LOT of money. Probably $10,000 or more to get it out there. I know I won't get all of the money that quick (hardly)...and I hope to get a lot back from it, but that's not my purpose-for the money, but that is VERY helpful! I am doing it to help others, obviously, and I have good connections and I hope to get more good ones. I will have Lisa Cherry check out my book because she has already published a book and I will hopefully have some missionaries that I know look at it, etc...to help me in whatever input they have. Thanks for your help! I know there is a lot to it! Believe me...I'm still thinking of what way I should publish it though, but I'm not to that point yet, so I can still think about it...

    ReplyDelete