Sunday, November 27, 2011

A Very Special "Something Old"

Dear Readers,

Since it is getting close to Christmas I want to share with you some things that mean a lot to me and that I love dearly. I will share with you something Old, something new, something used and something blue!

Something old that I love dearly is my grandmother-Helen. We call her "Mema." She is 83 years old and I adore her! She is so great and there is none like her. Now you have to know something about my grandmother to really know what I mean when I say she is great! Here is an example of what I am talking about: Over this Thanksgiving break, I went to go visit my grandmother in Kentucky and I talked with her a lot. She has so many great stories to tell about when she was a little girl and how she and her family got by during and after the Great Depression. She loves to talk to us and she will talk to us for HOURS! She loves to talk about God as well and how much God has done for her and how much she loves Him. God is the center of her world. When I see my grandmother smile, I just see God's light shine right through her. Mema is a very stubborn woman, but a very passionate person. She has learned a lot and she has had lots of experiences, so when I feel down, I like to talk to her because it seems that what she tells me normally works out the way that she said that it would.

I remember one time when we went on vacation with her. Our first vacation with our new adoptive parents was a very memorable week. We went to Missouri, Washington, Virginia and a few other places. It was a wonderful week and the most fun part was exploring and being apart of it all, but I also enjoyed chatting with my Mema! :) She talked to me and helped me learn more about her and how my parents came to the decision of adopting my siblings and I!

So there are so many wonderful things about my grandmother-including how great she fixes her food! It's DELICIOUS!!!! :) But, she is getting old and while she was here on Thanksgiving break, she cried and spoke to me a lot about how her life was coming to an end shortly and how she is going to move in with  my Aunt in about a year or less. Her life is precious and I will miss her dearly when she does go to be with Jesus. I also know that my Mom will miss her too. Just last year my Mom was crying about it.

My grandmother has diabetes and it has caused a lot of things for her. For this and MANY reasons, I will and do treasure every moment I have with my Mema, my precious grandmother who would do anything she could for her children and grandchildren and great grandchildren! She is the most wonderfully old person you could meet and nothing will change the love I have for her! She truly and always has been in great condition for her age though! You would be surprised at what this woman can do! She does pretty much everything! She lives by herself and still takes care of herself and her house. She is JUST now, recently getting to the place where it's becoming even more difficult, but she's a passionate woman, who rarely ever gives up! :) I love my Mema! :)

Here is a picture of My WONDERFUL Mema at our house:

1 comment: